So last week’s “Book Club” was a celebration of the new additions that will be coming to our neighborhood soon. We’ve got two ladies who are expecting and we decided to go bonkers for babies in April. Mary asked me to make cupcakes to celebrate, but I was in the mood for a cake. And I think it turned out darling, if I do say so myself!
This cake is a two tier stacked cake construction – here’s the nitty gritty for those cake nerds out there:
- Two 9″ layer devil’s food chocolate cake
- Basic buttercream tinted with Wilton’s Royal Blue
- I used a 104 petal tip to create the ruffles
- Two 6″ layer white cake
- Basic buttercream tinted with Wilton’s Pink
- I used a 103 petal tip to create the ruffles
This cake came together really quickly and I was super pleased with the ruffles! The pennants add that cute little bunting touch. I simply created them in Photoshop, cut them out and taped them to a piece of butcher’s twine. I then tied the twine to two wooden skewers and stuck them in the top tier.