Recently I was scouring the classes at my local sewing store, Stitch Lab, and I ran across one for an Amy Butler bag class. I love her modern take on sewing projects so I signed up. Of course I had to wait for a Saturday class a few months out. In my head, the class was in May. So I started getting excited about which project I’d work on in the class – they offer a couple of different bags depending on sewing skill. Imagine my disappointment when I realized the class was in JUNE not MAY. Sigh.
What’s a girl to do? That’s right, I went to the library. (I know, an 80 year old girl, but I tell you, my library is cool!) How cool is my library you ask? So cool that it not only had the Amy Butler bag book, but it was actually at my branch! So I rolled on over there, checked it out for three weeks and went home to contemplate sewing projects. The first project in her book is the Cosmo bag – it’s labeled in the easy category. So I thought I’d start there. I picked up my materials (6 1/4 yards of interfacing?!?!) and was ready to get started.
I scoured blogland to hear what others thought of this project and the overwhelming consensus was that was not exactly and “easy” project. I did note that this bag is one of the options in my sewing class – labeled at intermediate. Not intimidated, I set out to start making this bag. I began cutting and cutting and cutting and cutting. And then I did some more cutting and cutting and cutting and cutting. I believe the technical term for the number of pieces in this bag is “a crap load” and after you’ve cut them all, they all get interfaced! After hours of cutting and ironing, I had all the pieces! Finally! I was a little tight on the interior fabric, but I’ve got leftover exterior fabric (it’s because of those big pieces you need for both sides of the two pockets for the interior.)
The sewing itself is pretty straightforward – there were one or two places where I had to read the directions a few times. It would be nice if she added a few more pictures or drawings to her book, but for the most part, not too difficult to follow. In just a few hours I had both the exterior shells and interior shells assembled.
I fitted them together and started on the home stretch
I will say, sewing the two shells of the bag together was the part where I had the most difficulty. I didn’t properly ease the difference in the two shells around the entire length of the interior handles which meant that I had a bit of extra material bunched up at the top band on the interior side – but the handles themselves laid perfectly! Oh well, I figure it’s on the inside and no on will ever see it unless I put a picture up like this.
Dang it! Why must I point out the flaws! OK pretend you don’t notice that bunching by the loop for the button – you’re too busy checking out all that awesome pocket space. So here she is in all her glory – my version of Amy Butler’s Cosmo Bag:
Overall, fairly easy pattern to follow to produce a really nice looking bag. Cutting and interfacing will take more than half your time on this project so just know once you finish that, it’s all down hill from there!
Linking up here: