Oh the Oscars are over? Well guess what, I didn’t have a chance to get up all the posts about this year’s party so you’re in for more of the same!
Every year I like to create a new game for my guests to play (See some renditions from years past here: Name that Famous Dress, Name that Famous Quote, Name that Oscar Winning Best Picture, Name that Oscar Quote, Name that Famous Quote, etc.) and this year’s game was the easiest one yet! I did a lottery style category award prize blow out. Don’t get used to this one friends
To create the game, I first brainstormed prize ideas for each category – Here’s what I came up with:
- Original & Adapted Screenplays: Moleskine notebooks
- Visual Effects: Sparkly red mini bottle of nail polish
- Sound Mixing: Bellini drink mixer
- Sound Editing: Earrings found on clearance at Target
- Live Action Short Film, Animated Short Film, Original Score, and Original Song: All these called out to me as $5 Amazon gift cards
- Production Design: I figure this one is all about setting the scene so I got an inexpensive small metal owl at Hobby Lobby and spray painted him gold – instant tchotchke for a scene. Plus, who DOESN’T want a gold owl?
- Makeup and Hairstyling: Sparkly gold mini bottle of nail polish
- Film Editing: A little pack of goodies to make edits on your life like a Tide pen, individual package of Wet Ones and correction tape
- Documentary Short: Another notebook to “document” the things in your life
- Documentary Feature: A notebook that was labeled “The long list”
- Directing: A golden candle holder and candle….I figure the director is the guiding light of the film? OK some of these were a stretch…..
- Costume Design: Recycled from my house: a mardi gras style face mask that I got for a wedding a few years ago that, while beautiful, has just been collecting dust.
- Animated Feature: coloring book and crayons
- Best Acting Categories: Mini bottles of champagne
- Best Picture: A sparkly gold evening bag (it was my splurge!)
Obviously you could go in a million different directions – the idea is to get a small gift for each award. I tried to stick to about $5 for each gift and the recycling from the house was a win-win.
Then I printed the names of each nominee and tucked into some mini envelopes that I picked up at Envelopes.com. The envelopes come in every color including a bright red and gold metallic, but I went with basic white. I printed the category tags and stuck them to the envelopes.
There were individual bags for each present – the prize wall looked like a bonanza when the show started! Good thing my Mother was in town to help me get the cloth bags all sewn before the party…..of course paper gift bags would work just as well.
When the party started I handed out a few envelopes to each guest – there were over 120 nominees so each person got a lot of chances for a win.
As each category winner was announced people tore into their envelopes to see if they had the winner. As the night wore on, people started trading envelopes to collect as many as possible for a given category – one person had six shots at Best Picture, but didn’t walk away with the prize. Oh well, a good time was had by all!
Definitely a fun game/lottery and nifty way to spoil your friends at your party.